The Last Person on Earth That Should Have His (Small) Hands on Nuclear Weapons

Donald Trump, speaking today about the Democratic convention:

"I wanted to hit a couple of those speakers so hard. I would of hit them...no no.. I was going to hit them...I was all set...Then I got a call from a highly respected governor that said "how's it going, Donald?" I said "it's going good, but they are saying very bad things about me. I'm going to hit them so hard". I was going to hit one guy in particular. A very little guy. I was going to hit him so hard his head would spin; wouldn't know what happened."

How can anyone want that running the country?  How can anyone think he has the capacity to make rational decisions?  How can people imagine that the country could survive this sort of a leader?

One thing that has been bothering me is the suspicion that there is actually an almost overwhelming urge toward self-destruction among Republicans; they don't just want to destroy their enemies, they actually seem to have an apocalyptic longing to bring everything down around them, crushing themselves too.  The scary thing is that there is absolutely no way to reach people that mad.  We can only hope that in the end, a lot of them will back away from the cliff.

Comments

Jerry Critter said…
Trump doesn't even play a president on TV. How can he be expected to play on in real life?
Magpie said…
"don't just want to destroy their enemies, they actually seem to have an apocalyptic longing to bring everything down around them, crushing themselves too"

I don't want to do the Hitler comparisons to death but there is a theory that has fascinated me to the effect that, deep down, Hitler wanted to lose. He wanted Germany destroyed. He certainly DID want the German people wiped out in the final days of the war in Europe because he reckoned they hadn't earned the right to survive. That's not to say he didn't want to win as well, but some deeper rage we'll never understand wanted the abyss. Ordinary madness given extraordinary power: horrible danger.
Green Eagle said…
I think you could certainly find some evidence that Hitler never really got over the rage and humiliation that he felt during his impoverished years in Vienna, and that this left him with a lust for destruction that was untempered by the normal moral brakes that other people have. And after all, this humiliation was at the hands of his own people, so why wouldn't they become a target of his hatred? I'm not sure I'd go this far, but I suppose you could see his hyper-patriotism as at least in part a product of his efforts to deny this truth to himself.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Okay, Never Mind

Wingnut Wrapup

Hamas